Giacomo Facheris - 1817
The hospital of San Marco stood, from its construction in 1476 until its demolition in 1930, in Piazza della Libertà on the north side of the fair, and received rent from the fair’s stall owners.
During the first few decades of the 19th century, the hospital’s director was Giacomo Facheris, formerly head of the Liceo Sarpi, who held degrees in medicine, agrarian sciences, botany and philosophy. Facheris’ great creation was the botanical garden – the immense kingdom of the plants, clearly divided into its separate provinces. Facheris intended the garden as a resource for the hospital, so that theory and practice could be integrated, and so that students might bring to the beds of the sick those herbs most suited to the specific case, transform them into medications and apply them.